Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Final Flight in the T-45

Tuesday, January 10 I flew my last flight in the T-45C. It was the culmination of three years and three months of work to earn my Wings of Gold. I could not be more excited!

The flights were my last two Air Combat Maneuvering flights. I was solo, my ACM partner too, and one instructor in the third jet. We took off as a three plane flight and headed to our working area to "fight". It started out with my partner and I vs. the instructor. The first fight was difficult because we had a hard time keeping sight of the "bogey" and I was getting chased around at 330 knots and 6 gs as my partner searched the sky for us. He finally found us and came in for the shot. Once that was over we set up again. This time the bogey went after my partner and I went vertical. As I rolled over the top I found the fight below me, discerned who was the bogey and roll in for the shot. Luckily that fight was over quickly.

We landed at a local airport to refuel and go out and do it again. The second flight went about the same except at the end of the flight our instructor let me and my partner go one on one against eachother. We had a nose to nose pass at around 400 knots a piece and took the fight veritical. Unfortunately I lost sight immediately and he was able to get a shot off on me. I returned the favor shortly thereafter and we knocked it off and headed home.

When we got on the ground I was met by my wife, my friends and squadron mates and a fire hose. It is another naval tradition to hose you down when you get winged. My executive officer put my wings on my chest and I was officially done with the program. The official winging ceremony takes place on Friday.

My friend Joe Coenen holds the fire hosed used to wet us down.


My friend and I completed the program together. This is the walk to the hose.

Notice where the stream of water is pointed. Yeah, that hurt.

Soaking, but extremely relieved.

The XO presents me with my wings.

Shaking hands with my squadron mates.

My boys: Joe Coenen, me, Scott Fortner (who finished with me) and Jason Raper.

Mandy and I after the hosing down. She was more relieved than I was!

The Fortners, Mandy and I celebrate our final flight.

No comments: